APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY OR YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT
To apply for any vacant TYSC position, please follow the instructions below:
- APPLICATION PACKETS FOR ALL POSITIONS MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION: A completed and signed Virginia state application and a current (within 30 days) driving record. Resumes alone will not be accepted. A complete packet must be submitted no matter which submission method is used.
- On the application form, indicate the specific position for which you are applying under “Position applied for.” Also, indicate the specific program advertising the vacancy under “agency.” Do not use Tidewater Youth Services Commission as the agency.
- A resume, cover letter and/or certified transcripts are recommended but not required with the application packet unless indicated in the specific listing.
- Applications should be submitted to the address below.
TYSC Administrative Office
2404 Airline Blvd.
Portsmouth, VA 23701
Fax: 757/488-9652 Phone: 757/488-9161
E-mail: [email protected]
- To be considered for employment, the driving record must reflect zero or plus (0 or +) points (for Virginia records) or no current violations/offenses (records from other states).
- Applicants that do not meet the minimum qualifications of the position will not be considered.
- If a faxed or e-mailed application packet is submitted, a hard copy of the packet with an original signature will be required if the applicant is selected for an interview.
- Documents required in the application packet may be submitted by e-mail, but online application is not available. A paper copy of the Virginia state application form may be obtained at the TYSC administrative office at 2404 Airline Blvd, Portsmouth, VA 23701. To download a blank form as a non-fillable Adobe PDF document, click here: Virginia State Application. For a fillable form, click here: Virginia State Application.Fillable Form
- If an application deadline is listed for the position, packets received after the posted deadline will not be considered. If there is no deadline, applications are accepted on an ongoing basis and reviewed periodically.
- Applications submitted to Human Resources are screened to verify that the application packet is complete and that the applicant is qualified for the position. Packets are then forwarded to the director of the appropriate program for review. The complete screening process can take up to several weeks. The status of individual applications is not known until the individual program director makes his or her selection. SELECTED APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE A CALL OR E-MAIL.
- A pre-employment drug screen will be required if selected. CPR and First Aid certification is required for all counseling positions before a selected applicant may begin employment.
- If a degree is required for the position, a certified transcript will also be required.
- The excellent benefits package for full-time employees includes: health insurance with Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield (including medical, dental, prescription, vision and mental health coverage); membership in the Virginia Retirement System (including pension and group life insurance as well as the option to purchase additional life insurance and disability insurance); a deferred compensation plan; a pre-paid legal services plan; eligibility for membership in two credit unions; and generous leave benefits.
- Tidewater Youth Services Commission is an equal opportunity employer.
Lynnhaven Boys Home
2293 Lynnhaven Parkway
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Westhaven Boys Home
3515 Race Street
Portsmouth, VA 23705
Crisis Intervention Home
811 13th Street
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Salary: $12.21 per hour
TYSC employs relief counselors in all of our residential facilities, to provide counseling and supervision to adolescents. Work is on an as-needed basis, serving as relief for regular staff. Some evenings/weekends required. Experience with troubled youth preferred. Qualified applicants will be placed in a pool to be accessed when a group home is in need of relief counselors.
Deadline: Open until filled