Tidewater Youth Services Commission Operating Principles
While we are working to accomplish our mission, we are guided by the following principles:
- Everyone has the capacity to change, but the process can be complex. We must always remain flexible and open to alternative approaches.
- We are spending the public’s money and must always be accountable for how these funds are spent.
- Our clients are our reason for existence. They have an absolute right to our best efforts and the highest ethical standards.
- We are dedicated to upholding the principles of non-discrimination. Our staff should be culturally diverse and culturally competent.
- Our agency and staff should always model the kind of behavior we are promoting for our clients.
- Treatment within in the context of the family system is essential to progress and self-sufficiency.
- If a youth cannot be reintegrated into his or her family, our goal is to find an alternate living setting or prepare them for independent living.
- We are committed to being a learning organization that utilizes evidence-based practices, evaluates its outcomes, is open to new ideas, and works to develop the skills of its staff members.